Live-streamed concerts, classes, and events of all kinds have been around for years. However, due to COVID-19, live streamed events have skyrocketed in 2020, and we predict they’ll continue to grow in popularity.
In a time when very few in-person events are able to happen, many Event Organizers are looking to virtual events as a way to interact with fans, generate revenue, and keep their brands alive. Here’s why you may want to consider live streaming your next online or in-person event:
- Generate more revenue.
Whether it’s supplemental to your in-person event, or if your event is strictly virtual, a live stream opens up doors for even more fans to attend. No matter where they live or where you’re hosting from, anyone with an internet connection can join. Plus, on EventSprout, there’s no limit on attendees.
Further, fans may feel it’s easier to participate in an online event. In most cases, they’ll save time and money on transportation and/or accommodations (or picking out an outfit!). Even if you’re hosting an in-person event, offering a live-streamed ticket option once in-person tickets sell out may help generate even more revenue.
2. Live video is better than pre-recorded.
According to Medium, “live streaming generates higher user engagement and revenue” than pre-recorded video. Fans like to interact with brands and content creators in real-time fashion, meaning live video and live chatting is the next best thing to being in the same room.
Conduct a live interview, host a panel, or stream a concert; there are many ways to increase buy-in from your fans in an online setting. Just remember - live is better. Gather your fans or members for an hour or two and host a virtual event they’ll love.
3. Online is safer.
In these COVID-19 times, thousands of in-person events are cancelled or postponed. With social distancing being a priority for so many, the events industry has had to make some changes in order to adjust to new safety standards.
What better way to socially distance than to attend an event from your very own home? Online, live-streamed events bring the experience TO the customer and leaves the shared germs and cramped spaces behind. Your fans don’t need to commute, call a ride-share, or come in contact with anyone in order to attend your live-streamed event from the comfort of their home. Not only will it be a safe and socially distanced experience for them, it will also save them time and money.
4. You’ll save money.
If you opt to host a strictly virtual event, there’s a strong chance you’ll spend less money than you would on an in-person event. Depending on the scale of your event live-stream, there are substantially fewer moving parts to a live-streamed event with no one in the audience; you won’t need to worry about renting a venue to fit your attendees or hiring a catering company to feed them!
All that’s required is the camera & audio equipment. While webcams, go pros, and basic cameras will suffice for most Event Organizers, some will desire production that’s a bit more elaborate. Renting cameras and nice equipment can get expensive, but it’s still likely to cost less than it would have to host a full-scale in-person event.
How to Host Your Live Streamed Event
Whether you’ve hosted a virtual event before or are starting from scratch, you’ve come to the right place. For the sake of the beginners out there, we’ll walk you through the process step-by-step.
- First, you’ll want to create an EventSprout account and build your first event. As long as you have some basic event information, like date and time, this step won’t take long. You can use the event page provided by EventSprout as the landing page for your event, or you can embed the ticket widget onto your own, personally designed website.
- Share your event link with your fans and begin selling tickets.
- Prepare for your live stream. Gather the equipment needed to run your live stream (listed below). Follow these steps to make sure you have all of your bases covered.
- Once you’ve sold your tickets, prepared your equipment, and approached your event date - it’s time to go live!
- After the conclusion on the live stream, follow up with your attendees using the contact information you collected in EventSprout. Ask them for feedback, to rate their experience, or invite them to another one of your upcoming live-streamed events!
What You’ll Need to Host Your Live Streamed Event
• A Camera Source - This could be a webcam, smartphone, a handheld video camera, etc.
* NOTE:If you’re streaming directly from your iphone’s camera, you’ll need an RTMP broadcasting app, like Larix or BroadcastMe.
• An Audio Source - This could be the built in microphone on your laptop or smartphone, a USB microphone, or an XLR microphone.
• A Switchboard (Optional) - A switchboard comes in handy when you have multiple streams of video or audio. The switchboard will allow you to jump from source to source throughout the live stream.
• Computer - laptop or desktop.
• OBS - software for video recording and live streaming.
• A Ticketing Platform - EventSprout is a ticketing platform for both in-person and virtual events. EventSprout makes it easy to sell tickets to your event online and manage your attendee list!
• A Live Streaming Platform - EventSprout makes online events convenient & simple; not only can you sell tickets to your live streamed event through EventSprout, but you can also host your entire live stream from the platform.
Get Started Today
Ready to host your virtual event on EventSprout? Get started today or contact us.
Do you have feedback about EventSprout’s live stream feature or questions about getting started? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help.